header

header

Saturday, September 1, 2012

First day - 1st grade


As I did last year and plan to do as long as I can (or as long as he will let me!) I took off from work the first day of school.  I love to walk my little guy in to his classroom.  School started on a Monday this year and we had "meet the teacher" the Friday before.  Mrs Arnold is his new 1st grade teacher and she is very sweet.  I believe we have been blessed again this year.
I could tell he was a little nervous and as you can see his crazy face below was the best I could get inside the house.  New backpack and lunch kit packed and ready to go!

Then we tried some outside....


Oh, there's a smile!




Truth be told as soon as we walked outside the trash pick up was taking place and I suppose no matter how old a boy is, they are still mesmerized.  So while I was trying to get photos he kept wanting to turn his head towards them! Here is his "1" for first grade.

I met him at school so he can ride the bus and there is no confusion on what his transportation will be.  She is taking his name and marking him as getting off that particular bus.  They have a very well organized system but we have also talked in detail to him about this.

This is his new teacher Mrs Arnold.  She is due in November with her first baby!

She loved her Crayola Wreath (DIY post to follow) and hung it up right away then I snapped a photo of the two of them with the wreath in the back.



I thought everything was going really well so I stayed a minute and took some photos and talked up 1st grade to him. etc.  Here is his seat.  We saw 3 other names of kids he already knew so I thought double perfect!  But.....


See the nerves starting with the fake smile? That is when I knew it was time to go.  I kissed him and told him have a great day and I will see you this afternoon and we'll get that first day of school ice cream treat.  As I was almost gone I told his teacher I liked her shirt and she said something about it being maternity. That sparked up some conversation for a minute about her first baby and that is when I turned around and he was briskly headed my way, tears filling his eyes and his arms wide open. Bummer. I stayed too long. I had to fight back my own tears as he had me in a choke hold. I talked him through it the best I could and I was able to leave.  Then I got to my car, Kevin called to check and I just started crying too!  I am just not sure exactly what happened.  It's the same daycare, same daycare bus, same hallway even, just a different teacher and some new friends. I am realizing more just how sensitive Dominic is.  He is ALL BOY ALL THE TIME but he has feelings big time!  I told Kevin I don't want him to be the needy boyfriend type, ha! I know he will be fine.  




Here are some fun pencils we ordered him for homework this year.  He gave me a big hug and said, "Thank you mom."  Brought tears to my eyes.....

And this prayer says it all.

Have a blessed school year everyone!



No comments :

Post a Comment